Moving an article

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Mar 18 22:29:07 UTC 2004

I have a server on which I find occasionally that I have to save an
article, online, for longer than the expected time. Is there any
reasonable way to do this before I start hacking away? I need to
essentially repoint the entry in the history file to a new location.

I don't have the luxury of deleting, changing the message-id, or any of
the obvious things. I need to resave the article in another place and
keep it available. I also never know until after the article is saved if
I need to preserve it.

The majority of stuff is kept in cycbuffs, I could move it to tradspool
or another long retention cycbuff, or ??? Resaving the article and
overwriting the token in history would be ideal, other approches gladly
considered.

One possible approach is to mark it in the cycbuff in some way so that
it will be moved or skipped over instead of reusing the space. This is a
small number of articles, so overhead is not an issue, at least not at
the moment.

Thoughts?

--
    -bill davidsen (davidsen at tmr.com)