Moving an article

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Mar 18 22:30:58 UTC 2004

Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> writes:

> I have a server on which I find occasionally that I have to save an
> article, online, for longer than the expected time. Is there any
> reasonable way to do this before I start hacking away? I need to
> essentially repoint the entry in the history file to a new location.

> I don't have the luxury of deleting, changing the message-id, or any of
> the obvious things. I need to resave the article in another place and
> keep it available. I also never know until after the article is saved if
> I need to preserve it.

> The majority of stuff is kept in cycbuffs, I could move it to tradspool
> or another long retention cycbuff, or ??? Resaving the article and
> overwriting the token in history would be ideal, other approches gladly
> considered.

sm in CURRENT has a flag to save an article directly into the storage API.
The tokens in history are fixed-length, so you can edit the token in place
to point it to the new token.  You'll need to regenerate overview for that
group in order to get it into overview, though, which will require that
the group into which you move it be using tradspool so that you can use
tdx-util.