how do i understand inn_feed stats?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Mar 24 17:10:27 UTC 2004

Pavel V. Knyazev wrote:
> Hi everybody.
>
> I'm try to figure out what the following parameters are:
>   requeued:
>    spooled:
> [overflow]:
> [on_close]:
> [sleeping]:
> unspooled:
>   no queue:
>
> For example i have two outgoing feeds for big articles:
>
> a) the first one seems to be keeping up, it accepts less
> and refuses more articles, however there are 2755
> articles marked as "no queue". Do i really keep up
> with the feed and offer every article to this host?
>
> b) the second one accepts more articles, i see "spooled"
> articles and obviously i don't keep up with the feed and
> don't even send some check messages to that host, plus
> there are "requeued", "[overflow]" and other non-zero stats.
>
> Please tell me what is it?
>
> Should i put additional streams in both cases or not?

For (b) consider that the reason why small articles can't keep up may be
history lookup issues, and more streams MAY help, while for large
articles bandwidth is usually the problem. You can gain a little by
switching to compressed batches, but if the content is the usual jpeg or
mp3 it doesn't compress well and you rarely get enough improvement to
solve the problem.

For feeding small text articles, compressed batches are still very
effective at overcoming network bandwidth issues, since 2-3x reduction
in bytes is usually possible.

--
    -bill davidsen (davidsen at tmr.com)