groups marked as 'j' in active still propagated. Why?

Ilya Varlashkin ilya at samara.net
Mon Mar 29 23:49:45 UTC 2004

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 04:29:45PM -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Katsuhiro Kondou wrote:
> > In article <20040320130205.GA60243 at CITADEL.NOBULUS.COM>,
> > 	Ilya Varlashkin <ilya at samara.net> wrote;
> >
> > } Sorry, it's probably silly question, but what is then purpose of 'j'
> > } groups? I read in active man page that:
> >
> > innd uses this as if this group does not exist.
> > Namely, rest of newsgroups that don't have 'j'
> > are used for newsfeeds.  So, it doesn't mean
> > article will be stored into junk explicitly.
>
> ??? I don't have anything marked 'j' currently configured, but I would
> swear that those articles wind up in the junk newsgroup. I even have an
> old config file which had a cycbuff for that group, although the server
> is long gone so I can't look to see if anything actually went there.

Provided that an article was not cross-posted to anywhere else, and
from active(5) manpage:

'...If a newsgroup has the "j" flag, no articles will be filed in that
newsgroup, and local postings to that group will be rejected.  If an
article for that newsgroup is received from a remote site, and it is
not crossposted to some other valid group, it will be filed into the
"junk" newsgroup instead.'

So it looks from the man page that articles posted to group with 'j'
and not cross-posted anywhere else should end up in junk.

Now as it ended up in junk and I have !junk towards a peer, why would
that article still propagated?

And if this is not inteded behaviour for 'j' flag, then what makes it
different from 'n'?

/Ilya