groups marked as 'j' in active still propagated. Why?

Ilya Varlashkin ilya at samara.net
Tue Mar 30 21:17:10 UTC 2004

Hi Bill,

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 02:40:09PM -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:

> > So it looks from the man page that articles posted to group with 'j'
> > and not cross-posted anywhere else should end up in junk.
>
> Okay, that's exactly the behaviour I was mentioning.

So on this part I didn't misunderstand.

> > Now as it ended up in junk and I have !junk towards a peer, why would
> > that article still propagated?
>
> Let me clarify. The feeding decision is made based on the groups in the
> newsgroups line, so !junk only affects the posts directly to junk. You
> still need to block the unwanted group, or just don't keep junk (see
> inn.conf).

But sounds in contradiction with the next lines from the same manpage:

"...This is different than simply not listing
the group, since the article will still be accepted and can be propa-
gated to other sites that receive the "junk" group, and the "junk"
group can be made available to readers if wished..."

English isn't my native language, but I read this sentense as 'will be
propagated to the sites that receive "junk" and only to them'. Please
correct me where I'm wrong. I do have 'wanttrash' set to 'false' in my
inn.conf.

> > And if this is not inteded behaviour for 'j' flag, then what makes it
> > different from 'n'?
>
> Look carefully at 'n' and 'x' for clarification. INN has many
> interesting options, and the action of them provides great flexibility
> at the expense of complexity. If you still don't understand ask again.

Just re-read that part and got even more confused - if 'no local postings
and ignored for articles from peers' that's sounds like not having this
group in the active file at all. Would be glad if somebody could clarify
this. Though this is of less importance compare to confusion about 'j'.

/Ilya