Losing hard drive space in a hurry

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon May 17 06:10:32 UTC 2004

Adam Clark <adam at isurf.ca> writes:

> So I wound up upgrading to 2.4.1, and while the same makehistory command
> was able to find about 1.5mil articles, there's about 7.29mil files in
> /var/spool/news/articles - so something's not getting found and/or
> cleaned up...

> Does anyone have any ideas about why makehistory as run with the options
> listed above and/or expire wouldn't be cleaning the news spool up
> better, or finding all the articles that are sitting around?  Is there
> anything further I can or should be doing?

Did you delete a bunch of newsgroups, perhaps?  tradspool has a real
problem with that; it doesn't understand deleted newsgroups and doesn't
clean up the articles that were stored in them.

Did you get error messages from makehistory when you ran it?

Can you notice any patterns about the articles that didn't make it into
the overview database?