Mailpost and crosspost

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Sun May 23 23:21:51 UTC 2004

On Sun, 23 May 2004, Mailing Manager wrote:

> May 23 23:27:18 marte postfix/local[28083]: BE3F2A489D: to=<helpdesk at it.lmt>, relay=local, delay=101, status=sent ("|/usr/local/news/bin/mailpost.1 -c 100 lmt.helpdesk")
> May 23 23:28:19 marte postfix/cleanup[27848]: 20F8BA489B: reject: header
> Subject: mailpost failure (lmt.operativo): inews failed: inews: cannot send article
> to server: 441 435 Duplicate: Illegal seek inews: article not posted?     ;from=<nobody at lastminutetour.com> to=<usenet at lastminutetour.com>: NO SPAM
> May 23 23:28:19 marte postfix/cleanup[27848]: 20F8BA489B:message-id=<20040523212819.20F8BA489B at marte.lastminutetour.com>
> May 23 23:28:19 marte postfix/local[28083]: BE3F2A489D:to=<operativo at it.lmt>, relay=local, delay=162, status=sent ("|/usr/local/news/bin/mailpost -c 60 lmt.operativo")
>
> operativo, with dealy of 162 is rejected (do not care of the header reject)
> like you see the lmt.operativo post, rcpt to: operativo mail is rejected.

I don't think those logs have the information I was looking for.

Let me try to explain what should happen:

1.  Mail for group A arrives and is sent to mailpost -c XXX.  For the
    next XXX seconds, mailpost waits.

2.  Before the XXX seconds are up, mail for group B arrives and is sent
    to mailpost -c YYY, which notices that it's the same as the mail
    for group A.  Then it waits for YYY seconds.

3.  After YYY seconds, the article gets posted to both A and B.

If you're seeing a Duplicate error, this must be happening instead:

1.  Mail for group A arrives and is sent to mailpost -c XXX.  For the
    next XXX seconds, that mailpost waits.

2.  More than XXX seconds pass, so mailpost posts to group A.

3.  At some later point, mail for group B arrives and is sent to
    mailpost -c YYY; mailpost waits.

4.  More than YYY seconds pass, so mailpost tries to post to group B
    and is rejected as a duplicate.

Does that make sense to you?

We need to know when *both* copies of the message arrive, not just the
second one.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org