can't post without overview enabled?

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon May 24 23:25:45 UTC 2004

> Anne Wilson <anne at unidata.ucar.edu> writes:

>> The machines in my news network are basically relay machines, but each
>> one does post statistics every five minutes.  Because some of my
>> machines can't handle the load, I've tried to turn off the overview by
>> setting enableoverview to false and noreaders to true in inn.conf.  The
>> problem, however, is that now those machines can't post their
>> statistics - inews says "you do not have permission to post".  I've
>> tried listing them in incoming.conf (as per the inn.conf man page) but
>> that doesn't seem to make a difference.

> Can your statistics program post via IHAVE instead of via inews itself?
> If it's written in Perl, the Net::NNTP module knows how to do this.

Actually, it occurs to me that another, possibly better, approach would be
to just pipe the article into rnews instead of inews.  (You'll need to
make sure that the piping is done as the news user so that it has access
to run rnews.)

Note that when using rnews, you have to provide the Date, Message-ID, and
Path headers yourself.