Rebuilding group.index

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Nov 10 23:49:53 UTC 2004

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi at gnus.org> writes:

> From nnrpd/group.c:

>     if (caseEQ(av[0], "group")) {
>         if (count == 0)
>             Reply("%d 0 0 0 %s\r\n", NNTP_GROUPOK_VAL, group);

> Which explains what I'm seeing.  I could just fill out an approximate
> count in groupadd?

> In which case the only thing I'm definitely missing is "base".  Is
> that supposed to be the same as "low"?  I'm guessing not...

base is information you would have lost if you really can't salvage the
group.index file.  It says what article number in the group the first
record in the .IDX file corresponds to, and there isn't a good way of
recovering that information without looking at the entries in .DAT,
matching them up with entries in .IDX, and figuring out the offset.  The
only place the base is normally stored is in the group.index file.