Rebuilding group.index

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen larsi at gnus.org
Thu Nov 11 00:27:16 UTC 2004

> base is information you would have lost if you really can't salvage the
> group.index file.  It says what article number in the group the first
> record in the .IDX file corresponds to, and there isn't a good way of
> recovering that information without looking at the entries in .DAT,
> matching them up with entries in .IDX, and figuring out the offset.  The
> only place the base is normally stored is in the group.index file.

Right; I see.  It isn't vital for Gmane's use, I guess -- base is
always the same as low, since I don't do expiry.  I think.

I'm now copying over the NOV files to somewhere safe, and I've
written the little C program to translate IDX files from old to new
format.  Then I'll try with new IDX files and the old group.index
file and see whether that works.

Again, thanks for the help.

  larsi at gnus.org * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen