puzzling innfeed errors

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Fri Oct 1 06:20:03 UTC 2004

Ben Rosengart <br+inn at panix.com> writes:

> What do these mean?  INN 2.3.3.

>   Sep 14 02:43:35 news-xfer innfeed[25731]: Could not retrieve
>   @030542494E3000000000002A446D0000043D@: read failed
>   Sep 14 02:43:46 news-xfer innfeed[25731]: CNFS-sm: could not read token
>   @030342494E3000000000002AA4B10000043D@ BIN0:0x55496200:1085: Cannot
>   allocate memory

I've never been entirely sure -- people see these from time to time.  It
seems to mean either that innfeed would exceed its memory limits if it
tried to mmap that article (which can happen if memory limits are low or
if that innfeed process is chewing through a lot of huge articles), or
that the CNFS buffer is corrupt and has an exaggerated idea of the size of
the article.