Perl access hook

Justin Harrison inn at astyrrian.com
Sun Oct 10 21:37:31 UTC 2004

Hi,

I've got a perl access hook that returns "read: ", and "post: ". For read
only groups that the user has access to, it returns them only in "read: ",
but not in "post: ". The client never receives the newsgroup in newsgroup
lists, however. How do I return a read only newsgroup in a perl access hook?

Readers seem to connect first unauthenticated when they try to get newsgroup
lists. I was originally returning reject in the access hook if the user was
unauthenticated, but this caused no readers to be able to connect. If I
return some nonsense, like "read: ", and "post: ", to some group that
doesn't exist - the clients later try to actually authenticate, and then get
a proper list. Can anyone explain this behavior?

Thanks!

Justin Harrison