Perl access hook

Jeffrey M.Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Wed Oct 13 01:33:37 UTC 2004

On Oct 10, 2004, at 5:37 PM, Justin Harrison wrote:

> I've got a perl access hook that returns "read: ", and "post: ". For
> read
> only groups that the user has access to, it returns them only in
> "read: ",
> but not in "post: ". The client never receives the newsgroup in
> newsgroup
> lists, however. How do I return a read only newsgroup in a perl access
> hook?

This is strange.  What you are doing sounds correct.

Does your client see other groups (e.g. those listed in both read: and
post:)?

> Readers seem to connect first unauthenticated when they try to get
> newsgroup
> lists. I was originally returning reject in the access hook if the
> user was
> unauthenticated, but this caused no readers to be able to connect. If I
> return some nonsense, like "read: ", and "post: ", to some group that
> doesn't exist - the clients later try to actually authenticate, and
> then get
> a proper list. Can anyone explain this behavior?

Bother.  This would be really easy if we'd designed perl_access
slightly differently.

Erik, are you here?  I don't know that I can answer this question
without looking at the code.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org