Perl access hook

Justin Harrison inn at astyrrian.com
Wed Oct 13 06:05:42 UTC 2004

Hi,

In line

(By the way - is there a problem with usernames nad passwords containing
spaces, or is it standard inn policy not to parse them properly? By the time
they get to my perl auth hook - they are broken at the first space)

Yes. It only sees the ones listed in read: and post:. I haven't tested just
listing something in post, but I'd imagine by design that doesn't work too
well..

> > Readers seem to connect first unauthenticated when they try to get
> > newsgroup lists. I was originally returning reject in the access
> > hook if the user was unauthenticated, but this caused no readers to
> > be able to
> connect. If I
> > return some nonsense, like "read: ", and "post: ", to some
> group that
> > doesn't exist - the clients later try to actually authenticate, and
> > then get a proper list. Can anyone explain this behavior?
>
> Bother.  This would be really easy if we'd designed perl_access
> slightly differently.

I've resorted to returning:

Read: !*
Post: !*

Then the clients seem to authenticate...I couldn't find many details on how
or why that works.

> Erik, are you here?  I don't know that I can answer this question
> without looking at the code.

Thanks a lot,

Justin