Perl access hook

Jeffrey M.Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Wed Oct 13 13:03:44 UTC 2004

On Oct 13, 2004, at 1:42 AM, Justin Harrison wrote:

>> From: Jeffrey M.Vinocur [mailto:jeff at litech.org]
>>
>> On Oct 10, 2004, at 5:37 PM, Justin Harrison wrote:
>>
>>> I've got a perl access hook [...group in read: but not post:]
>>> The client never receives the newsgroup in newsgroup lists,
>>> however. How do I return a read only newsgroup in a perl access
>>> hook?
>>
>> Does your client see other groups (e.g. those listed in both
>> read: and post:)?
>
> Yes. It only sees the ones listed in read: and post:. I haven't tested
> just
> listing something in post, but I'd imagine by design that doesn't work
> too
> well..

I just did a quick test of this and it seemed to work the way we both
expect (when viewed by telnet to port 119).  I'm not sure what's going
on now.  The behavior you're seeing shouldn't be newsreader-dependent,
but if you have an alternate newsreader around can you check with that?

> I've resorted to returning:
>
> Read: !*
> Post: !*
>
> Then the clients seem to authenticate...I couldn't find many details
> on how
> or why that works.

I'm actually a little surprised it does, without the clients having an
Always Send Authentication Information type setting enabled, but as
long as it works for you...

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org