Lost newsfeed

Jeffrey M.Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Fri Oct 22 10:47:51 UTC 2004

On Oct 21, 2004, at 3:26 AM, James Wilde wrote:

>> If you try to telnet to the news01.ourfeed.com port 119 (from your
>> server), what happens?
>
> # telnet news01.sunet.se 119
> news01.ourfeed.com: Unknown host
>
> This is new behaviour, but I added news01 to /etc/hosts and tried again
> and got an answer.  (I have tried before and it worked fine)

Well, this indicates there's something underlying wrong with your DNS,
and you'll probably have other problems until you fix it, but I think
we can ignore that for the moment.

> The newsfeed has now replied and I translate:
>
> When our server contacts 213.163.128.165:119 the answer is:
>
> 200 yggdrasil.glocalnet.net InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.2
> 21-Jan-1999
> ready (posting ok).
>
> Same answer, whether the source address is 193.10.88.101 or .111.  It's
> a long time since I worked with INN, but this is typical of our feed
> not
> having the rights to talk to your innd, and landing with nnrpd instead.
> Then IHAVE, CHECK, TAKETHIS and so on in NNTP don't work.

I've gotten confused as to which server is which, but whenever the
introduction banner is from NNRP instead of INN itself, it means that
the problem is in incoming.conf.  In this case, the 213.163.128.165
server's incoming.conf needs to be checked.

Keep in mind that you have to do `ctlinnd reload incoming.conf` (or
restart INN) before any changes to that file take effect.

> peer newsfeed.ourfeed.com {
>          ip-name:                news01.ourfeed.com
>
> I'm wondering if I can have more ip-name lines, because it seems to be
> more frequent that it is news11.ourfeed.com which does the feeding.
> (Or
> is it my server which goes out and fetches the updates?)

You can have a comma-separated list in incoming.conf, which is the
important file for determining which of -their- servers to accept news
from.

Your innfeed.conf only affects where your server sends outgoing news.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org