problems inporting old articles

Jeffrey M.Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Wed Oct 27 22:22:59 UTC 2004

On Oct 27, 2004, at 1:11 PM, Kurt Albershardt wrote:

> Have imported 61k articles from a defunct server using tradspool
> storage.  Old NG name was different so I have done a search & replace
> to fix the headers in every file (changed NG name and server name.)
> Updated active file to reflect highest article number.  Have done a
> 'makehistory -b -O -F' and a makedbz and restarted innd.  Readers are
> met with the proper prompt for existing article download when
> subscribing, but nothing gets downloaded to the reader.  New articles
> are posted with the proper
> sequence and appear normally.

What you did sounds pretty reasonable offhand.  Your newsgroup rename
search altered the Xref: header as well, I hope?

Were there any messages in news.notice when you ran makehistory?

Which overview method are you using?  If it's tradindexed, take a look
at the appropriate .DAT file in $pathoverview and make sure it has
entries after running makehistory.

Also, I guess you should make sure that your history file has entries
after running makehistory as well.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org