Getting SSL to work with INN

Toon van der Pas toon at hout.vanvergehaald.nl
Sat Sep 11 10:06:32 UTC 2004

On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 07:40:57PM -0400, Forrest Aldrich wrote:

> Doesn't nnrpd have to be started well-after the innd process has
> completed?

Completed? The innd process never completes. It runs continuously.
About the moment at which nnrpd is started up:
This server is running Gentoo Linux.
It's init scripts support dependencies. I created an init script
which makes the nnrpd daemon depend on the subsystems 'net', 'logger'
en 'innd'. This garantees that nnrpd is started up after innd.
It works.

> This is stated somewhere in documentation... but again, very
> vaguely.

What do you mean exactly?

> Why a different readers-ssl.conf?

I work with two configurations:

- one for the standard nnrpd process, which is started up by innd
  when it detects a newsreader client on port 119

- one for the nnrpd daemon with support for SSL

The first one allows free news reading from within our own domain.
The second can be contacted by our subscribers from outside our own
domain, but then they are required to authenticate themselves with
a userid and a password. Hence the SSL secured session.
Authentication is done via our radius server.

Regards,
Toon.