control.ctl

Forrest Aldrich forrie at forrie.com
Sun Sep 12 06:49:36 UTC 2004

I found an odd group in our private news spool:  alt.binaries.ticklish-guys.

Not amused.  :-)

I think the issue has to do with control.ctl.   I have whatever the
default is, as installed, which "appears" to reject those messags, but
the are obviously not.  I see in the log:

Sep 11 20:48:01 news controlchan[61774]: control_newgroup,
alt.binaries.ticklish-guys nederlander at cryptoheaven.com
nederlander at cryptoheaven.com @050000000004000000020000000000000000@,
nntp.domain.net, doit, 1
Sep 11 20:48:01 news innd:
k:alt.binaries.ticklish-guys:y:nederlander at cryptoheaven.com
Sep 11 20:48:01 news innd: SERVER newgroup alt.binaries.ticklish-guys as y
Sep 11 23:09:08 news innd: p:alt.binaries.ticklish-guys

Which I happily did an rmgroup to:

Sep 11 23:09:08 news innd: SERVER rmgroup alt.binaries.ticklish-guys

I have in my config:

all:*:*:drop

As are the rest of the ihave/sendme directives configured to "drop".

But I may be mis-understanding how this process works.

_F