control.ctl

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sun Sep 12 06:58:27 UTC 2004

Forrest Aldrich <forrie at forrie.com> writes:

> I think the issue has to do with control.ctl.  I have whatever the
> default is, as installed, which "appears" to reject those messags, but
> the are obviously not.  I see in the log:

The default control.ctl definitley does not reject control messages by
default.  I think you may be missing that the *last* matching entry in
control.ctl applies.

Note also INSTALL:

    The actions of controlchan are determined by control.ctl, which lists
    who can perform what actions.  The primary control messages to be
    concerned with are "newgroup" (to create a newsgroup), "rmgroup" (to
    remove a newsgroup), and "checkgroups" (to compare the list of groups
    carried in a hierarchy to a canonical list).  INN comes with a
    control.ctl file that processes control messages in most major public
    hierarchies; if you don't want to act on all those control messages, you
    should remove from that file all entries for hierarchies you don't want
    to carry.