More details, should I be using PAM instead for authentication?

Jeffrey M.Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Fri Apr 1 00:43:29 UTC 2005

On Mar 31, 2005, at 3:14 PM, Lisa Ungar wrote:
> It appears that PAM is present on the machine.
>
> Should I replace my auth statement with
>
> auth: "ckpasswd -s"
>
> In the following stanza:
>
>>    auth:  "/usr/local/news/bin/auth/passwd/ckpasswd -f
>> /usr/local/news/w3appusers"

Your asking a question that can only be answered based on your desired
local configuration.

The readers.conf that you have been showing us uses a separate password
database (namely the one in "w3appusers" and generated by htpasswd).
That's a perfectly reasonable thing to do.  On the other hand, if you
want to use system accounts and the associated login passwords, that's
something different and would need to be configured differently.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org