Proposal: Re: Bug in building, using auth_krb5

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Apr 11 18:08:34 UTC 2005

Todd Olson <tco2 at cornell.edu> writes:

> yes, that would be great!
> I wonder if a note in the auth_krb5 man page point people to INSTALL
> would be prudent as well.

> NOTE: in solaris 10 static linking is no longer possible.

> ... also note, that despite the badness of using LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> the shell script wrapper approach does contain it, and so it is
> worth documenting.

I've added the following to INSTALL:

    * Many of INN's optional features require other packages (primarily
      libraries) be installed.  If you wish to use any of these optional
      features, you will need to install those packages first.  Here is a
      table of configure options enabling optional features and the software
      and versions you'll need:

          --with-perl         Perl 5.004_03 or higher, 5.6.1+ recommended
          --with-python       Python 1.5.2 or higher
          --with-berkeleydb   BerkeleyDB 2.0 or higher, 4.2+ recommended
          --with-zlib         zlib 1.x or higher
          --with-openssl      OpenSSL 0.9.6 or higher
          --with-sasl         SASL 2.x or higher
          --with-kerberos     MIT Kerberos v5 1.2.x or higher

      If any of these libraries (other than Perl or Python) are built shared
      and installed in locations where your system doesn't search for shared
      libraries by default, you may need to encode the paths to those shared
      libraries in the INN binaries.  For more information on shared library
      paths, see:

          <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/notes/rpath.html>

      For most systems, setting the environment variable LD_RUN_PATH to a
      colon-separated list of additional directories in which to look for
      shared libraries before building INN will be sufficient.