Proposal: Re: Bug in building, using auth_krb5

Todd Olson tco2 at cornell.edu
Mon Apr 11 15:40:50 UTC 2005

Hi Russ

At 00:44 -0700 2005-04-11, Russ Allbery wrote:
>Todd Olson <tco2 at cornell.edu> writes:
>
>> Case 2: The problem has been partially fixed in  inn-CURRENT-20050315
>>            (In fact the output of  the --help option of configure
>>            (is MUCH enhanced.  Kudos and thanks! to who ever did that.
>>            (It makes life much easier.
>
>Came free with using a much newer version of Autoconf.  :)
>
>As near as I can tell, both of the problems you ran into were fixed in
>CURRENT a long time ago when I redid how configure handles all of the path
>variables in the build system.  Was the only other problem you were
>running into in CURRENT the shared library path issue?

I was not comfortable deploying CURRENT as by production system
and as I was working under a lot of pressure (failing old hardware,
only time available outside of normal work hours, etc)
I stopped working with CURRENT and focused entirely on STABLE.
... When I get a moment I'll dig back in to CURRENT and let you know

> > Proposal 2:
>> In both the first and second case it would be nice if documentation
>> on auth_krb5 could be added ... and perhaps even a simple shell script
>
>>      If you plan on using auth_krb5 and your kerberos5 libraries are in
>>      a non standard place that the linker/loader does not ordinarily
>>      search then you should place the following shell script in
>>      bin/auth/passwd
>
>>          #!/usr/bin/ksh
>>          LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/full/path/to/kerberos5/lib_dir  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>>          exec  /full/path/to/auth_krb5
>
>I think what I need to do is add an explanation somewhere of shared
>library search paths for people who haven't encountered these issues
>before.  I'll try to find a good place in INSTALL for that.

yes, that would be great!
I wonder if a note in the auth_krb5 man page point people to INSTALL
would be prudent as well.

NOTE: in solaris 10 static linking is no longer possible.

... also note, that despite the badness of using LD_LIBRARY_PATH
the shell script wrapper approach does contain it, and so it is
worth documenting.

Regards,
Todd