tinyleaf miniature transit news server

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sat Apr 16 23:04:18 UTC 2005

Christoph Biedl <cbiedl at gmx.de> writes:
> Russ Allbery wrote...

>> As previously discussed on the list some time ago, I've added tinyleaf
>> to the INN distribution.  This is a minimal transit news server that
>> essentially runs a single channel feed and is useful for processing
>> incoming messages with a script without needing to run a full-blown
>> news server.

> Hmmm, I almost forgot that although I have a need for it now. Some
> remarks:

> Is it possible to backport tinyleaf to 2.4.2? Besides fixing
> innd/Makefile it appears that I'd also have to adjust lib/ for
> nntp_read_command - is it realistic to succed or should I just forget
> the idea?

It depends on the nntp library, which depends on network, which may get
you into more of a dependency mess than you really want to deal with.
It's probably easier to just build the binary from CURRENT; it doesn't use
inn.conf or anything and is completely stand-alone.

> Looking into the source: I'd drop (i.e. remove) every file that could
> not be written successfully. Else this could leave incomplete files that
> will cause some harm if they are feeded again. Deletion would also allow
> re-transmission from the sender.

Good idea.  Done.

> Finally, on my (Debian Linux) systems tinyleaf from yesterday's CURRENT
> behaves quite ed'ish: Every command is answered "500 Unsupported
> command". Perhaps I can find the reason for this on my own in the next
> hours.

Sigh, I had a bunch of stupid mistakes left over from having changed the
API on myself a few times.  Now fixed in CVS.