Too many open files

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Sun Aug 7 18:30:30 UTC 2005

On Aug 7, 2005, at 12:34 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> A little more investigation reveals that innd has open a normal number
>> of overview files, plus an absurd number of socket descriptors.
>
> What kind of sockets are they?  lsof should be able to give you a few
> more
> details on whether they're Unix domain sockets, network sockets (and if
> so, what port), etc.

For some reason lsof takes forever on this system...um, and pegs the
load average to 20.  Perhaps I won't run that any more.  Any other
ideas?

In the meanwhile, I wrote a little loop to check the number of open
files every minute...it looks like innd is using an additional ~117
sockets per hour, but not in any strict pattern (anywhere from zero to
four in any given minute).

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org