Too many open files

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sun Aug 7 18:37:33 UTC 2005

Jeffrey M Vinocur <jeff at litech.org> writes:

> For some reason lsof takes forever on this system...um, and pegs the
> load average to 20.  Perhaps I won't run that any more.  Any other
> ideas?

> In the meanwhile, I wrote a little loop to check the number of open
> files every minute...it looks like innd is using an additional ~117
> sockets per hour, but not in any strict pattern (anywhere from zero to
> four in any given minute).

Are there a ton of abandoned sockets in pathrun?  If not, and if nothing
is showing in netstat, I have no idea.  There's nothing in the news logs
that indicates what might be happening?  innd does use sockets for feeds
to programs, so if a program is constantly respawning, that could possibly
cause something like this, but that would definitely be showing up in the
logs.