Problem with history

Andy Hawkins a.hawkins at cabletime.com
Thu Dec 8 15:04:36 UTC 2005

Hi,

> > And (more importantly) any idea why the expire process is failing?
>
> The lack of the free space on HDD? Does it still fail?

Ok, just allowed my server to start getting articles again, and it's
happening again:

expire begin Thu Dec  8 15:01:04 GMT 2005: (-v1)
    expire: dbzsync: putcore failed
    expire: can't dbzclose /var/lib/news/history.n Success
    expire: dbzinit: dbzinit already called once
    expire: can't dbzinit /var/lib/news/history Success
    expire: dbz: fseeko failure in putconf: Bad file descriptor
    /usr/lib/news/bin/news.daily: line 1: 26309 Segmentation fault
expire
+-v1
expire end Thu Dec  8 15:01:18 GMT 2005

Disk usage:
/etc/news                                    803416 Kbytes available
(83.3%)
/var/lib/news                                 83432 Kbytes available
(42.0%)
/var/log/news                                 64144 Kbytes available
(32.3%)
/var/spool/news/articles                     187246 Kbytes available
(83.1%)
/var/spool/news/incoming                     187246 Kbytes available
(83.1%)
/var/spool/news/outgoing                     187246 Kbytes available
(83.1%)
/var/spool/news/overview                     187246 Kbytes available
(83.1%)

Surely that's plenty of free space for it to be playing with? Or does it
need more than twice the size of the history files (/var/lib/news is only
42% used) to complete the expire process?

Andy