server crash

Jeffrey M.Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Fri Feb 4 03:43:42 UTC 2005

On Feb 3, 2005, at 2:45 PM, Lisa Ungar wrote:

> The other server (slave server), the overview and active files were not
> corrupt, but we have bad_history error.

I can't say I've ever seen this error myself, but if I read the code
right, it looks like there is a corrupt line in your history file (in
particular, a line with no "tab" character).

> It can't locate the article.   I ran grephistory on both boxes for a
> particular post.  The server with the bad_history sent back a message
> /dev/null.  The other server came back with the token as expect.  I ran
> the sm -i command on the token and found where the article was located

I'm not sure I understand what you're doing here.  Do you suspect one
particular article, or were you just trying to get a general feel for
what's wrong?

> We have run makehistory -a -b and it didn't fixed the bad_history
> error.

By using the -a flag, you've probably retained the corrupt line, and so
the new lines don't even have a chance to come into play.

If you want, you can dig around in the history file and try to identify
the problem, delete the offending lines, and run makedbz.  Or, if you
don't mind having the history file only reflect the articles on the
server (probably no big deal, unless you expect to get a burst of old,
already-expired articles), you can just run makehistory without -a.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org