strange behavior with articles numbers after a rebuild of the overview using 2.3.3

Lisa Ungar lungar at us.ibm.com
Wed Feb 9 20:07:07 UTC 2005

Christoph,
Yes, I am interested in preserving the spool and would like the
instructions.

After this experience, I certainly would like to use the new utility that
comes with 2.4.X to repair the overview files.

Thanks for your help,

Lisa

Christoph Biedl <cbiedl at gmx.de>
Sent by: inn-workers-bounce at isc.org
02/09/2005 12:38 PM

inn-workers at isc.org
cc

Subject
Re: strange behavior with articles numbers after a rebuild of the overview
using 2.3.3

Lisa Ungar wrote...

> Hi,
> We had to run makehistory -x -O -F command to rebuild the overview files

> on the news server.
>
> There were errors in the log
>
> Feb  9 05:22:48 w3pilot1b makehistory[8893]: tradindexed: packgroup cant

> write t

/usr/local/news/spool/overview/f/s/z/forums.software.zone-labs-integrity-deskt
> op-NEW.IDX: No such file or directory

Strange enough. The directory exists and there's enough spaces/inodes?

> For some of  the articles inside the newsreader :  the article numbers
are
> off.  If I ask for article 2115, I get an article with an Xref header
> 2116.
>
> Has anyone seen this behavior before?

Oh yes :-(

> Any suggestions?

Restart from scratch. Wipe out spool, history, and overview.

Sorry for these hards words but 2.3.x crash recovery _never_ succeeded
for me, makehistory and the like were just a huge waste of time.
If you want to preserve the spool: That is possible, feel free to ask
for instructions.

And: Upgrade to 2.4.x ASAP.

    Christoph