strange behavior with articles numbers after a rebuild of the overview using 2.3.3

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Feb 9 21:42:57 UTC 2005

Lisa Ungar <lungar at us.ibm.com> writes:

> We had to run makehistory -x -O -F command to rebuild the overview files
> on the news server.

> There were errors in the log

> Feb  9 05:22:48 w3pilot1b makehistory[8893]: tradindexed: packgroup cant
> write t
> /usr/local/news/spool/overview/f/s/z/forums.software.zone-labs-integrity-deskt
> op-NEW.IDX: No such file or directory

This is one of the problems that I fixed with the tradindexed rewrite in
2.4.  You really want to upgrade if you're using tradindexed; the new code
is considerably more robust.  I forget exactly what the problem was that
caused that unhelpful error message; I think you could get that message if
you ran out of file descriptors, but there were also some other cases for
it that were just bogus.