overview in buffindexed.

Kathryn Hemness kfhemness at ucdavis.edu
Fri Feb 11 14:02:51 UTC 2005

I used to have trouble with my overview running out of space until
I increased the diskspace allocated to the overview so that it was
between 15 and 20% of the diskspace allocated for articles.

I chose to use the higher percentage so that I could have a pretty-much
maintenance-free server.  With this percentage the news server
has been holding at about 15% for overview usage.  Here are the
results of inndf on my server:

> inndf -o
15% overview space used

> inndf -n
8871987 overview records stored

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 14:02:15 -0800
> From: Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu>
> To: inn-workers at isc.org
> Subject: Re: overview in buffindexed.
>
> Paul Reilly <pareilly at tcd.ie> writes:
>
> > How do you manage/expire the overview data when using buffers for
> > overview data?  Is this done as part of the news.daily?
>
> Yes, expireover should handle it as normal.
>
> > I have a finite amount of disk space, and would like my overview buffers
> > to act more like CNFS, so I have a constant disk usage.
>
> Unfortunately, there isn't any overview method that does this exactly.
> buffindexed isn't cyclic; if it runs out of space, it will still throttle
> the server until more space is added or articles are forcibly expired.
>
> --
> Russ Allbery (rra at stanford.edu)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>
>
>     Please send questions to the list rather than mailing me directly.
>      <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/questions.html> explains why.

--kathy