Possible reason for "rnews: cant unspool"?

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sun Jul 3 04:32:53 UTC 2005

Paul Marques Mota <mota at april.org> writes:
> On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 11:08:53PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
>> Felix E Klee <felix.klee at inka.de> writes:

> Raising the severity of this message in the rnews code so that it ends
> up in news.crit or news.err, and then in the nighly report would be a
> nice work-around for now...

>> > I still wonder what is the origin of the problem.  Surely load was high,
>> > but that's no reason for messages to end up in "incoming/bad".
>>
>> rnews really should just defer the articles if INN is throttled, but
>> right now it doesn't have a great way to do that.  I wonder if rnews
>> should try to query the local control socket to get INN's status before
>> trying to post messages, at least in -U mode.

I studied this some more and realized that the rnews code had all the
pieces required to handle this properly and just wasn't.  I've now
committed a patch that will leave articles in the incoming directory if
unspooling them fails due to a deferral or a 400 error, rather than
shunting them off into the bad directory.  I managed to convince myself
that that's the right thing to do.