innfeed 'discover' and wish list

Todd Olson tco2 at cornell.edu
Wed Jul 6 06:27:17 UTC 2005

Hi Russ

At 14:08 -0700 2005-07-04, Russ Allbery wrote:
>Todd Olson <tco2 at cornell.edu> writes:
>
>> 2) changing the bindaddress and SIGHUP-ing innfeed does NOT cause
>> innfeed to switch interfaces.  The only way to switch interfaces seems
>> to be to stop and restart innfeed.  The innfeed man page seems to claim
>> the contrary
>>         "If innfeed gets a SIGHUP signal, then  it  will  reread  the
>>          config   file.   All  values  at  global  scope  except  for
>>          ``backlog-directory'' can be  changed. [...]"
>
>I looked over this code, and I'm pretty sure that the re-read
>configuration file will indeed change the bind address for any *new*
>connections.  It doesn't, however, cause existing connections to be closed
>and re-opened.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.
So I am very puzzled.
My experience is this:
   My box was a solaris 9 box with one physical and 3 logical interface.
   Initially innfeed was configured for a logical interface with an IP
   address that the remote peer server *rejected* the connection from.

   I am assuming (but have not verified) that when innfeed contacts
   a peer and that peer refuses the connection that the connection
   would be closed!

   When innfeed tries a few minuites later to contact the remote peer
   again a new connection would be opened.

   But based on my logs there was no change in the interface used.

   Hum could it be that I was feeding multiple peers ... and that some
   of them accepted the connections from this interface while others
   refused it?  And would the rebind only when *all* connections closed?
   In that case with multiple peers it might never happen that all connections
   are closed simultaneously so that a rebind to a different interface could
   happen .... ????

If this speculation is relevant, then operationally it is effectively
very difficult to change the interface binding with a SIGHUP.  In which
case a note in the documentation recommending a restart would be helpful.

Regards,
Todd Olson
Cornell University