2.4.2 issue still (ctlinnd and "message too long")

Heiko Schlichting inn-workers at cis.fu-berlin.de
Mon Jul 11 14:59:42 UTC 2005

> On Sat, 2 Jul 2005, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > All of them handled 8KB packet sizes without any trouble except for Tru64
> > and FreeBSD, which can't handle a byte over 2KB.  So I'm afraid that INN
> > is running into (stupidly low) OS-imposed limits that there's no way
> > around without major surgery in how ctlinnd talks to innd, and doing the
> > latter isn't something on my list to work on.
>
> Out of curiosity, why would ctlinnd messages ever need to be longer than
> 2k?

Because INN can handle many connections and some of us do have a lot of news
peers:

$ ctlinnd name 450
Infostrada[192.106.1.115]:450

$ ctlinnd name ''
Can't send "name" command (short read failure) No such file or directory.

$ uname
IRIX64

Heiko

Heiko Schlichting        | Freie Universität Berlin
heiko at FU-Berlin.DE       | Zentraleinrichtung für Datenverarbeitung (ZEDAT)
Telefon +49 30 838-54327 | Fabeckstraße 32
Telefax +49 30 838454327 | 14195 Berlin