[OT] Re: Disabling (part of the) timers ?

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Jun 8 19:18:03 UTC 2005

Bill Tangren <bjt at aa.usno.navy.mil> writes:

> I am subscribed to several lists, and this is the only one for which
> hitting the 'Reply' button causes you to reply to the sender, not to the
> list. I have to hit the 'Reply All' button and delete the senders email
> address to send email correctly to this list.

> Is there anyone reading this who can correct this?

See:

    <http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html>

for the reason why the list is not configured that way.  I'm a curmudgeon
on this score -- I think people should get better software that
understands the concept of replying to the list, rather than overloading
the Reply-To header and making personal replies impossible for a client
that honors it properly.

Having been bitten many, many times in the past by the broken behavior of
mail clients that see fit to override Reply-To and send mail to the From
address against the mail standards, I have strong feelings about that.

That being said, really, the best solution is to have setting Reply-To be
a per-subscriber setting rather than a per-list setting.  I'm pretty sure
Ecartis doesn't support that; I'm not sure if Mailman does.