Alternative to perl_access and python_access?

Todd Olson tco2 at cornell.edu
Mon Jun 13 15:18:34 UTC 2005

Hi Felix

At 11:45 +0200 2005-06-13, Felix E. Klee wrote:
> > NOTE: that you have to develop a naming scheme that permits the *_access
>>       script to know what file to look for.
>
>I could simply use files named according to the username in question.

Hum ... I'd worry about this ... because many news readers
can open multiple simultaneous connections to a news server,
each spawning it's own nnrpd.  I think including the PID
would be important ...

>Of course one needs to take care that a file is not being read while
>being written, but there's a simple solution for that: Write to a
>temporary file and move it to the destination file.

True!
But is it really a worry?
Since the the external authenticator has to complete and exit
before the *_access runs, doesn't this guarentee the read will
happen after the write?

Regards,
Todd