problem: core dump, history-file > 2 GB

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Jun 27 23:56:52 UTC 2005

Jarle Aase <jgaa at jgaa.com> writes:

> I have a critical problem with inn2. It appears that the history-file
> has exeeded the 2G limit, and every time I start inn, it just crash with
> a core-dump.

> Questions:

>   1) How do I recover (fast) from the problem? I have
>         30 peers that tries to feed me.

Decrease the size of the history file and then run makedbz to regenerate
the indices.  The fastest way to decrease the size of the history file is
to remove any lines that don't contain tokens (@...@), as those are for
messages you don't have on disk.

>   2) How do I perevent this from happening again?

Either reduce your history retention (/remember/ in expire.ctl) or rebuild
INN with large file support.