problem: core dump, history-file > 2 GB

Jarle Aase jgaa at jgaa.com
Tue Jun 28 00:52:57 UTC 2005

man, 27,.06.2005 kl. 16.56 -0700, skrev Russ Allbery:
> Jarle Aase <jgaa at jgaa.com> writes:
>
> > I have a critical problem with inn2. It appears that the history-file
> > has exeeded the 2G limit, and every time I start inn, it just crash with
> > a core-dump.
>
> > Questions:
>
> >   1) How do I recover (fast) from the problem? I have
> >         30 peers that tries to feed me.
>
> Decrease the size of the history file and then run makedbz to regenerate
> the indices.  The fastest way to decrease the size of the history file is
> to remove any lines that don't contain tokens (@...@), as those are for
> messages you don't have on disk.

The problem is that I have quite a few messages on the disks ;)

> >   2) How do I perevent this from happening again?
>
> Either reduce your history retention (/remember/ in expire.ctl) or rebuild
> INN with large file support.

If I rebuild with support for large files, how is the best way to
restore the current messages? (I have some important groups in
tradspool, but most messages are strored in cycbuffs).

Jarle
Jarle Aase                      email: jgaa at jgaa.com
Author of freeware.             http://www.jgaa.com

War FTP Daemon:     http://www.warftp.org
War FTP Daemon FAQ: http://www.warftp.org/faq/warfaq.htm
Jgaa's PGP key:     http://war.jgaa.com/pgp
NB: If you reply to this message, please include all relevant
information from the conversation in your reply. Thanks.
<<< no need to argue - just kill'em all! >>>