problem: core dump, history-file > 2 GB

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Jun 28 01:46:00 UTC 2005

Jarle Aase <jgaa at jgaa.com> writes:
> man, 27,.06.2005 kl. 16.56 -0700, skrev Russ Allbery:

>> Decrease the size of the history file and then run makedbz to
>> regenerate the indices.  The fastest way to decrease the size of the
>> history file is to remove any lines that don't contain tokens (@...@),
>> as those are for messages you don't have on disk.

> The problem is that I have quite a few messages on the disks ;)

If you *just* crossed the 2GB limit, it is almost certain that removing
entries not corresponding to articles you have on disk will be sufficient
to get you back under again.

> If I rebuild with support for large files, how is the best way to
> restore the current messages? (I have some important groups in
> tradspool, but most messages are strored in cycbuffs).

Alas, probably building a separate server and refeeding all the news you
care about from one server to another.  It's possible to do the
conversion, but I don't think anyone has written a tool that makes it
easy.