all tradspool messages unavailable after makehistory

Jarle Aase jgaa at jgaa.com
Wed Jun 29 04:57:17 UTC 2005

tir, 28,.06.2005 kl. 09.21 -0700, skrev Russ Allbery:
> Jarle Aase <jgaa at jgaa.com> writes:
>
> > I had a problem tonight where the history file hit the 2G limit and
> > killed innd. After running makehistory, the file shrunk to 1.5G.
>
> I wouldn't have recommended that, but oh well.
>
> > The server is configured to store most of the messares in cycbuffs. But
> > some important groups are stored in tradspool. After running
> > makehistory, the messares in cycbuffs are OK, while /all/ the tradspool
> > messages gives a "423 Bad article number" error to the client. The
> > messages are still present in /var/spool/news/articles/*"
>
> > Makehistory generated /lots/ of messages like the ones below:
> > Jun 28 11:38:17 localhost makehistory[7543]: tradspool: can't determine
> > class: @050000009CD10000066D0000000000000000@: Bad article handle
>
> This means that INN used the newsgroups to which the article was posted
> to, tried to match them against your storage.conf, and found no matching
> entry in storage.conf.  You'll need to fix your storage.conf configuration
> and run makehistory again.

I found one error in storage.conf (one class-id was used in two cycbuff
entries) and reran makehistory. The messages in tradspool are still
missing.

storage.conf cannot be all bad, because new messages to the groups using
tradspool appears ok, and are stored in the tradspool dirs, along with
the lost messages.

Is there any other way to teach inn about these messages?

Jarle
Jarle Aase                      email: jgaa at jgaa.com
Author of freeware.             http://www.jgaa.com

War FTP Daemon:     http://www.warftp.org
War FTP Daemon FAQ: http://www.warftp.org/faq/warfaq.htm
Jgaa's PGP key:     http://war.jgaa.com/pgp
NB: If you reply to this message, please include all relevant
information from the conversation in your reply. Thanks.
<<< no need to argue - just kill'em all! >>>