Upgrading to 2.4.1

Lisa Ungar lungar at us.ibm.com
Sun Mar 6 13:23:17 UTC 2005

Hi,
We decided to build new machines at the INN 2.4.1 version to replace the
existing INN servers.

We went  with  Christoph's first suggestion
(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=inn-workers&m=110799111102982&w=2) and
use the innxmit approach.

We were able to recover missing articles and fix the overview using the
tdx-util command.

However, I notice the following error in the error log.

dbz.c(set): can't tag value 0x42dceb6 tagboth = 0xff000000

Is this error happening because the size of the dbz file is too small?

I don't know if it is related, but when we first did the initial test to
run innxmit we had 8646548 Kbytes  available for the history databases
which was setup in the /var/lib/news directory

Later, the spool directory was moved to a different filesystem and the
initial filesystem which contain /var/lib/news was made smaller.  We reset
the server (cleaned out the articles, overview, recreated the history
database files using the steps documented here:
http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/inn/docs-2.4/install.html#S9) and did
the innxmit approach again.  The /var/lib/news directory now has 926692
Kbytes available.   This is when the dbz.c (set) error in the error log
started to appear in the Daily Usenet report.

Here is size of the history files from the ls command:

 70116782 2005-03-06 05:56 history
               88 2005-03-06 05:57 history.dir
   7045228 2005-03-02 18:22 history.pag

This is the contents of the history.dir file itself

dbz 6 1000003 4 50 128 127 24 0
722145 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
70116684 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Thanks for your help,