authentification domains/realms/whatever

Christoph Biedl cbiedl at gmx.de
Tue Mar 8 00:20:06 UTC 2005

Jeffrey M.Vinocur wrote...

> In retrospect, that's
> probably a mistake given how reasonable your question is, but it can't
> be done as far as I can think of.

Well, I've seen such domain extensions of the user name for quite some
time now, not in nnrpd authentification however. But that would be a
nice-to-have in future versions.

> However, you've got three options:
>
> 1.  If you can distinguish groups of users by incoming IP address

I cannot.

> 2.  If there's no harm done to check some users against the wrong
> password databases, you can lump everything together in one auth block
> with multiple auth: parameters.

This could be a solution here although I don't like it as it's not
extensible.

> 3.  You can use one auth block with a perl_auth: or python_auth:
> parameter to call out to a script capable of doing more powerful
> processing.

I was aware of that but I'd like to save work for writing that if
there's an easier solution available.

Thanks,

    Christoph