using readers.conf to force nnrpd to send 480

Todd Olson tco2 at cornell.edu
Tue Mar 8 22:27:06 UTC 2005

Hi

Is the following possible with current INN

- assume a client has successfully obtained readonly permissions
  to my news server

- Now they try to post

QUESTION:  Is there a way to make nnrpd return 480 rather than 440  ??

====
My situation is this.  Cornell permits on campus readers to read
'anonymously', that is with out an authinfo style authentication.

However, when it comes to posting, there must first be an authinfo
authentication.  (The Mac client MT-Newswatcher does a nice job of this)

We have a 2.2 version of INN/nnrpd hacked up to sort of do this.
It would be nice if in 2.4 we could make this happen with an appropriate
readers.conf setup ... but I don't see how ...

Regards,
Todd Olson
Cornell University