Posting backup for some hosts?

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Mar 15 23:41:53 UTC 2005

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi at gnus.org> writes:

> To deal with annoying spammers, I'd like to switch exponential posting
> backoff on.  However, due to the rather special setup (at Gmane.org), I
> need to disable this for some hosts.  And I can't find anything that
> seems to allow doing that in inn 2.4.1.

You can configure posting backoff in readers.conf instead of globally in
inn.conf, and there you can set it independely for different access
stanzas.  That should give you enough of a lever to make this work.

> A different approach to take would be to put some code in filter_art in
> filter_innd.pl that checks what the host name is, and then switches the
> backoff code on.  Here I have two problems:  1) I don't know how to get
> the NNTP-Posting-Host value from that function,

$hdr{'NNTP-Posting-Host'} should have it.  %hdr is a global hash.

> and 2) is there any way to tweak conf settings from Perl?

Unfortunately, no.

You can do interesting things from inside nnrpd instead of innd if your
posts are going through that route, since the nnrpd filter can return
SPOOL as an error code, which will cause the article to get shunted to
local disk for arbitrary other processes to fiddle with.