SSL connection timeouts

Patrick Clohessy pat at cs.curtin.edu.au
Wed Mar 16 04:58:17 UTC 2005

Hi All

I have recently moved over to using SSL for my news server. This has
worked succesfully but I have encountered a odd problem.

Using Mozilla Mail or Thunderbird under Linux, if I reply to a child
post there is a connection timeout and the mail client just pauses
without acknowlegding the post. However the post will eventually appear
a few minutes later. I can post a new article or reply to a parent
article just fine. This doesn't appear to be a user specific problem as
it occurs to all users (over 1000).

This problem does not occur using the same version of Mozilla Mail and
Thunderbird under Windows XP, or using pine under Linux. It also works
fine under Linux if I connect to the non SSL news server.

I'm using Fedora Core 3 for the news server (inn 2.4.1) and the client
software is on Fedora Core 3 as well. The news server is started using
"nnrpd -D -S -p 563 &"

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Does it sound more like a
Mozilla/Thunderbird problem than a news server problem?

--
Patrick Clohessy
Curtin University of Technology
email: pat at cs.curtin.edu.au