SSL connection timeouts

Toon van der Pas toon at hout.vanvergehaald.nl
Wed Mar 23 21:27:46 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 12:58:17PM +0800, Patrick Clohessy wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I have recently moved over to using SSL for my news server. This has
> worked succesfully but I have encountered a odd problem.
>
> Using Mozilla Mail or Thunderbird under Linux, if I reply to a child
> post there is a connection timeout and the mail client just pauses
> without acknowlegding the post. However the post will eventually appear
> a few minutes later. I can post a new article or reply to a parent
> article just fine. This doesn't appear to be a user specific problem as
> it occurs to all users (over 1000).
>
> This problem does not occur using the same version of Mozilla Mail and
> Thunderbird under Windows XP, or using pine under Linux. It also works
> fine under Linux if I connect to the non SSL news server.
>
> I'm using Fedora Core 3 for the news server (inn 2.4.1) and the client
> software is on Fedora Core 3 as well. The news server is started using
> "nnrpd -D -S -p 563 &"
>
> Has anyone else encountered this problem? Does it sound more like a
> Mozilla/Thunderbird problem than a news server problem?

Hi,

I can confirm your problem.
We are running an usenet news server, where we allow users to connect
directly and without any form of authentication and encryption from
within our network, but force users to connect via SSL and
authenticate themselves from the outside.

Mozilla will hang when posting messages via an SSL-encrypted link.
It doesn't happen always. It appears to happen when writing the message
takes a little while. When the message is written and sent quickly,
mozilla doesn't hang.

We are running inn-STABLE-20041230, but the problem was there with
earlier versions also.

Regards,
Toon.