access with authentication

Bill Tangren bjt at aa.usno.navy.mil
Fri Mar 25 16:19:58 UTC 2005

I am making progress getting my inn server working, but right now, I am
having problems with authentication failures. I would like to require
authentication of everyone who accesses the server, and to require
SSL-only access from outside the firewall. This is what is in my
readers.conf.

auth inside {
         key: behind_the_firewall
         hosts: "localhost, 10.1.0.0/16"
         auth: "ckpasswd -s"
         res: ident
}

auth outside {
         key: through_the_firewall
         require_ssl: true
         auth: "ckpasswd -s"
         res: ident
}

access inside {
         key: behind_the_firewall
         newsgroups: "*"
}

access outside {
         key: through_the_firewall
         newsgroups: "*"
}

As a first test of this, I tried accessing this from behind the firewall
using thunderbird as a client, not using SSL or telling the client that
authentication is required.

I am prompted for a username, and then a password. So far, so good.
However, the authentication fails. The error is:

"A News (NNTP) error occurred: Authentication error"

I can find no other mention of the error, or what caused it, in any log
(I checked /news/log/errlog, /var/log/messages, and /var/log/secure).

Setting thunderbird to expect authentication and/or SSL makes no
difference. The authentication always fails.

Could someone please provide some guidance?

Thanks,
Bill Tangren