Trying to do authentication with htpasswd file

Lisa Ungar lungar at us.ibm.com
Fri Mar 25 19:38:28 UTC 2005

Hi,
I am also working on adding authentication to the readers.conf file

auth "forumslogin" {
   hosts: "techstudy.watson.ibm.com"
   auth:  "/usr/local/news/bin/auth/passwd/ckpasswd -f
/usr/local/news/w3appusers"
   default: "<FAIL>"
}

access "forumslogin" {
 users: "*,!<FAIL>*,!<localhost>,!<local>@example.com"
 newsgroups: "*"
}

access fail {
 users: "<FAIL>*"
 newsgroups: "!*"
}

The ckpasswd command works when I do the echo test, however when I try to
do the same thing from my  News client it says bad_auth inside my
news.notice file.  In my news reader, I also see  the follow message

"A News (NNTP) error occurred: Authentication error"

Is the problem related to using the htpasswd command to build the user and
password list?

htpasswd -c /usr/local/news/w3appuser USERNAME

I also tried with the -d option, but that didn't seem to make much
difference.

Should I add the res: ident  information to the readers.conf stanzas?

Thanks,

Lisa