Seeing a lot of these newgroup messages this week

Jeff Abbott jeff.abbott at duke.edu
Tue Nov 1 16:29:23 UTC 2005

On Nov 1, 2005, at 10:51 AM, Wilson, Sue EIS-NWD wrote:
> What steps should I take to deal with this and are others seeing
> this as well
> ... we get our feed thru Sprint ..
>
> with Subjects in the news posting  that look like SPAM to me

You're not alone -- we got a metric tonne of these in the space of
about 15 minutes.  I'm not entirely sure what to make of them since
they look like what I think I'd see for a new hierarchy, except I
don't think us.* is new.  Also, the subjects do appear, universally,
to be spam and there's no information for the newsgroupfile like in a
"real" creation request.  I'm still quite the neophyte when it comes
to managing a Usenet server and would love to hear what some of the
more experienced admins think about these, and if they were seeing
them too.

Thanks,
Jeff

-- Type: application/pkcs7-signature