Validate history file contents.

Christoph Biedl cbiedl at gmx.de
Wed Apr 26 21:27:29 UTC 2006

Christiaan den Besten wrote...

> On our text-only server we currently keep aprox 90 days of articles
> ... at the moment our history file size is aprox 6.1Gb with a 1.1Gb
> .index file. This seems a bit large to me?

Indeed. What's your storage method? Your "groupbaseexpiry" setting in
inn.conf and your expire.ctl?

> Is there any way to 'validate' the contents of the history file ...
> too see if it doesn't contain entries of articles that are no longer
> on the spool

You can extract the token from the history file and ask sm whether the
article is really still present.

Another explanation: Your history file is damaged and therefore not
re-written by expire. You should see error message about that though.

    Christoph